CREATION IN 1719
The origins of the domain go back to 1719, but it was in 1838 that a certain Henry Delaroze, mayor of Saint-Laurent, created a vineyard on the parcel known as the “tenement de Trintaudon”, a magnificent gravelly hillside up to then uncultivated.
The property is mentioned under the name of ” Trentaudon “ in the first edition of 1/2 Bordeaux and its Wines” published by Feret (1850)/ In the second edition of Feret (1868), it is classed as a cru bourgeois, then in the third edition (1874), as a cru bourgeois superieur.
In 1870, Comte Ernest de Lahens presided over this domain of 345 ha and commissioned the building of chateau Trintaudon, capped with its distinctive tower dominating the landscape like a lighthouse in an ocean of vines.
DECLINE AND RENAISSANCE
Prosperity, passage through the hands of several owners, then the ravages of phylloxera and mildew took their toll on the viticultural vocation of the property.
In 1923, Comte Tchernoff, a white Russian migrant, delivered the fatal blow to the domain. He spent 7 million francs in an attempt to become a pioneer of industrial dairy farming, but in pulling up the greater part of the vines he ruined both the domain and himself.
In 1963, after having been owned by a great Spanish general Duke Del Infantado, the domain Trintaudon was bought in a state of semi-abandon by the Forner family, who were already proprietors of Chateau Camensac and Marques de Caceres in the Rioja wine region of Spain. 175 hectares of the best grape varieties were planted on the scientific advice of an eminent wine and vineyard specialist, Professor Émile Peynaud.
IN THE PORTFOLIO OF AGF-ALLIANZ
In 1986, the insurance company Allianz bought the domain, now one of the largest vineyards in the Medoc both in terms of size and production, based on the great potential of its ‘terroir’ It has since built up a fine reputation and is now considered one of the very best Crus Bourgeois.
|In 1719 Jean-Pierre du Pontet acquired Domaine Perganson at an auction.
Around 1815-1817 Henry Delaroze, then mayor of Saint-Laurent, inherited Domaine Perganson.
In 1838 he created a new vineyard of 15,95 hectares situated on the parcel known as the 1/2 tenement de Trintaudon ».
In 1841 wine was sold under two Domaine names : 80 barrels of Larose Perganson and, for the first time, 60 barrels of Larose Trintaudon.
In 1858-1859 Count Ernest de Lahens became proprietor of the domain and in 1884 built just next to Chateau Perganson (which is today a ruin) the Chateau Trintaudon as we know it today, surrounded by greenery and distinguished by its tower which dominates the landscape like a lighthouse in an ocean of vines.
The property is mentioned under the name 1/2 Trentaudon » in the first edition of 1/2 Bordeaux and its Wines” published by Feret in 1850. In an earlier publication the vineyard appears on the map of the commune of Saint-Laurent. Classed in 1st position, which attests to its quality, it was then producing 20 to 30 barrels. (As an example it should be noted that most crus bourgeois and artisan winemakers of the time produced on average 10 to 20 barrels). In the second edition of Feret in 1868 it is mentioned as a cru bourgeois, then in the third edition of 1874 as a cru bourgeois superieur - the classification it retained thereafter.
Attributed many medals (Gold and silver medals at the Universal Exhibition in Bordeaux in 1882, at the Paris Exhibition of 1889, the Amsterdam Exhibition in 1884), the 1/2 Grand Vin de Larose » was much appreciated by connoisseurs.
In 1872 Count Ernest de Lahens increased his domain with the incorporation of the Plateau property bringing it to 345 hectares.
DECLINE AND RENNAISSANCE
With the advent of the phylloxera epidemic in the middle of the 19th century, the viticultural vocation of the property was jeopardised.
Mildew, with its ravaging effect on wine quality, also contributed to its decline. This unprecedented crisis seriously damaged the reputation of the great Medoc wines, causing a wave of sales of chateaux.
In 1923 Count Tchernoff, a white Russian migrant, administered the final blow to the domain. This extravagant gentleman farmer (married to a rich American from the Morgan family of bankers) maintained an expensive lifestyle and, it is said, drove a Rolls Royce. He had a large quantity of vines pulled up to make place for his project of a modern industrial dairy farm, but the enterprise ruined him as he had not known that only robust vine roots can penetrate the gravelly stratum and draw nutrients from this austere soil.
In 1963 Domaine Trintaudon passed through the hands of a Spanish General, the Duke Del Infantado, before the Forner family acquired it in a state of semi abandon. After a long period of renovation (restructuring of the vineyard, new equipment in the cellar and rehabilitating the chateau in a flamboyant bourgeois style) the domain was restored to its former glory. 175 hectares of the best grape varieties were planted on the scientific advice of an eminent wine and vineyard specialist, Professor Émile Peynaud.
ENTERING THE PORTFOLIO OF THE ALLIANZ INSURANCE COMPANY
In 1986, Allianz bought the domain, now one of the largest vineyards in the Medoc both in terms of size and production (averaging over a million bottles per year). The investment was based on its great potential thanks to intelligent management with the advice of the best specialists, and meticulous work carried out by an efficient and cohesive team.
Since that date its reputation has grown year on year, and it is now considered one of the very best Crus Bourgeois.
In 1994, in association with their subsidiary insurance company in Chile, AGF and Chateau Larose Trintaudon took over management of 100 hectares of vineyard south of Santiago, with a production of one million bottles per year.
In 2007, Chateau Larose Trintaudon bought Chateau Arnauld Cru Bourgeois Superieur Haut-Medoc. This property at Arcins, on the Chateaux route, is composed of 76 hectares, of which 40 hectares are under vines, and produces approximately 250 000 bottles per year.